Inside Jersey’s 2016 Top Doctors for Children’s Health
You’re having a baby and one of your top priorities is finding a pediatrician who will care for your child through everything from coughs and colds to acne outbreaks and growth spurts.
Searching for a doctor whose expertise is in treating kids? Here, Inside Jersey magazine presents Castle Connolly’s 2016 list of Top Doctors for Children’s Health.
The physicians listed here are among those leading the field in treating children and childhood ailments. Visit Castle Connolly’s database to find out which doctors made our list. To learn more about how Castle Connolly builds its list of Top Doctors, read below.
HOW TOP DOCTORS ARE SELECTED
In selecting these 379 Top Doctors for Children’s Health, Castle Connolly’s physician-led research team gave consideration not only to the doctors’ areas of medical specialty, but to their expertise as it relates to the medical needs of children.
The question most asked about how Castle Connolly selects its Top Doctors is: Do doctors pay to be listed? Physicians do not, and cannot, pay to be selected as a Top Doctor.
The Screening Process
Castle Connolly follows rigorous survey, research and screening processes. Here is how it works.
Castle Connolly …
• Selects only physicians who are board-certified and for whom the company has validated that the board certifications are current.
• Uses “minimum years in practice” standards, based on medical specialty, because studies show quality increases with clinical experience.
• Surveys, by mail and online, thousands of physicians and other health care professionals, and asks them to identify excellent doctors in every specialty in their region and throughout the nation. While the nomination process is anonymous and confidential, each invitee has an access code to the nomination website, which helps ensure doctors do not nominate themselves.
• Makes thousands of calls each year, talking with leading specialists, chairs of clinical departments and vice presidents of medical affairs, seeking to identify top specialists for most diseases and procedures.
• Reviews the credentials of every physician under consideration, including his or her medical education, training, hospital appointments, administrative posts, professional achievements, and malpractice and disciplinary history.
Information on outcomes, procedure volume and malpractice is becoming increasingly available, but the public disclosure varies from state to state. Castle Connolly uses its best efforts to gather the information that is available. Ultimately, however, it is the professional judgment of the Castle Connolly editors, the chief medical and research officer and the research staff that determines Castle Connolly Top Doctors selection.
Each of the selected doctors is asked to complete a comprehensive professional biography form and also provide information on his or her areas of expertise. The information becomes an integral part of selected doctors’ listings in the guide.
Physicians also may be removed from the Castle Connolly lists. Some of the reasons for removal are: retirement, change in practice, unavailability to patients, malpractice or disciplinary issues, negative physician or patient feedback, professional demeanor or a change in the “mix” of specialists Castle Connolly presents for a given community.
Being removed from a list does not indicate something negative about the physician. At the same time, Castle Connolly does not claim to identify every excellent physician in the nation or a region. Physicians identified through the Castle Connolly research process are clearly among the very best, but there are always other very good physicians not identified by Castle Connolly.
Article courtesy Inside Jersey staff.