May is ‘Women’s Health Month’
Article courtesy of York News Times
May is not only the month for Mother’s Day, graduations, weddings, barbeques and picnics, but is also recognized as “Women’s Health Month”.
Ladies – It is important to not get so caught up in all of the activities that you forget about your own personal health. Four Corners Health Department is aiming to raise awareness for Women’s Health. There are important aspects that need to be addressed in order to keep you healthy.
Experts in Women’s Health recommend a variety of things to help improve women’s health. These can be found at http://www.acog.org/About-ACOG/ACOG-Departments/Annual-Womens-Health-Care/Annual-Well-Woman-Exam-Infographic.
Some of these recommendations include:
- Vaccinations – against influenza (flu) and HPV
- Mammogram for breast cancer starting at age 40*
- Colon cancer screening starting at age 50*
- Bone scan for osteoporosis (thinning of the bones) starting at age 65
- Pap smears
- Family planning and counseling
- STD (sexually transmitted diseases) testing
- Many more!
*Sooner if there is a family history (talk to your doctor about when you should get screened)
Getting and staying healthy means more time for what you enjoy each day and more time to spend with those you love!
Photo courtesy of: Stockimages http://bit.ly/1SZ9cjt